INSTRUCTIONS TO VISITORS IN CASE OF NEST HATCHING DURING THE DAYTIME
- In case you detect hatchlings (baby turtles) at the nesting beaches please directly inform the ecoguards of the National Marine Park of Zakynthos who are at the beach and follow their instructions.
- If there is no ecoguard at the area, please follow the below mentioned actions:
- Leave the hatchlings to reach the sea on their own. Do not give them immediate help.
- Flatten and make the sand in front of them smoother, so as to help their route to the sea. Please also remove the top part of the sand which is hot because of the sun, in order that the hatchlings will not get burned from the sun and the hot sand.
- Always stand sideways from the baby turtles at a distance of 3-4 meters and never in front of them so as not to prevent their route towards the sea.
- If hatchlings are exposed to the sun, then create a shade. Otherwise, if there are clouds, shade from the rocks, etc., just wait.
- If a baby turtle is disorientated and goes to the opposite direction from the sea, then, and only then, take it on your hands together with the sand on which it was standing and leave it at a distance of 5 meters from the sea in order to complete the route to the water on its own.
You Must Never: